We have the skills, knowledge, and experience to succeed for our clients.
As family structures become more complicated, so does the need to sort out the legal rights of family members. During extremely difficult times in their lives, clients receive aggressive, personal attention from our attorneys. We will fight to protect our client's interests in the most efficient and cost effective way possible.
Representative matters include:
- Separation & Divorce
- Custody Issues
- Child Support/Alimony
- Distribution of Assets
- Issues of Domestic Violence
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Third Party/Grandparents’ Visitation Rights
- Pre-Nuptial Agreements
- Paternity Issues
- Same Sex Couples/Domestic Partnerships
Representative Published Matrimonial Cases:
- Gadomski v. Gadomski, 256 A.D.2d 675 (App. Div. 1998) holding that the lower court had the power to direct the husband to complete anger management and counseling before he could renew his visitation rights.
- Lauria v. Lauria, 187 A.D.2d 888 (App. Div. 1992) confirming a spouse’s right to seek retroactive child support and maintenance to the date of filing the summons, provided that the request was made in the Complaint.
The firm's senior partner, F. Stanton Ackerman ("Fred Ackerman") has nearly 45 years of criminal defense experience. He has successfully represented clients in hundreds of trials in Federal and State Court. In addition, he has handled countless appeals to the New York State Appellate Division and the New York State Court of Appeals. Together, our team will provide every client with an aggressive and diligent defense while simultaneously protecting your Constitutional rights.
We defend clients who are accused of a broad range of federal and state crimes, including:
- Violent Crimes, including murder, rape and assault
- Drug Crimes including possession, use and distribution
- White Collar Crimes
- Weapons Offenses
- Vehicle and Traffic Offenses
Representative Published Cases:
- People v. Hyndman, 753 N.Y.S.2d 811 (Schty Cty 2002) (dismissing indictment where prosecution failed to provide defendant with drug test result prior to jury selection).
- People v. Alexander, 727 N.E.2d 109 (N.Y. 1999) (holding that it was not harmless error for the prosecution to urge the jury to give added credit to a witness’ identification of defendant because witness and defendant were both African American).
- People v. Latham, 689 N.E.2d 527 (N.Y. 1997) (recognizing that it is mandatory for a judge to tell defendant that his guilty plea can used against him in a subsequent case.)
- People v. Doyne, 178 A.D.2d 870 (App. Div. 1991) (appeal denied from order suppressing statements made by defendant during barn burning incident. Defendant ultimately acquitted of charges because defendant was intoxicated during incident and therefore, there was no intentional burning).
The firm represents accident victims and their families. Their matters often involve automobile collisions, construction accidents, slip and falls, unsafe premises, defective products, as well as negligence of doctors, hospitals or other health care facilities and providers.
The firm has:
- Been successful in obtaining $6.9M settlement on behalf of client.
- Participated in obtaining $7.3M settlement in matter originating in Newton, MA.
- Obtained $19.6M jury verdict.
For over 30 years, we have assisted individuals and businesses that have, for one reason or another, encountered financial difficulties. We routinely file Chapter 7 bankruptcies and Chapter 13 repayment plans in behalf of our clients who experience financial hardship in their lives.
In addition to being able to offer sound legal advice on a wide range of real estate related issues, we routinely represent buyers and sellers of residential, multi-family and commercial properties, handle routine mortgage foreclosure actions for both lenders and borrowers and assist with boundary and title disputes.
We are able to offer advice on a wide range of topics within this area of law which includes Wills, Trusts, Estates, Probate and Elder Law/Estate Planning. Whether offering advice and ideas as to how to plan for Estate succession, the preparation of Wills and Trusts or handling the Probate or Administration of Estates, both contested and uncontested, we have a long and proven history of assisting clients while charging reasonable legal fees for doing so.